Monday 28 May 2012

Let The Canning Begin!

Well friends, the spring chickens have all been butchered and put in the freezer, the summer garden is in and starting to grow quickly and now it's time for canning season. I almost always start off my canning season with strawberry jam and this year is no exception. Although, this year the batch is smaller than normal because the strawberries came on so early that there wasn't time to get to them.


Only about 4 cups of smooshed berries this year.


Still makes for a lot of hot pots on the stove! (I never realized just how black and silver my kitchen is until I looked at this picture!)


I forgot how yummy the berry mixture smells when it's cooking.


And of course here's the finished product. It may be a small batch, but it will be mighty tasty!

Of course, I think with all of the herb jellies I'm planning on this year we will be just fine! I've made a list below of what I'm hoping to get put up this season. It's pretty ambitious so I'm not sure I will be able to tackle it all, but I will be posting updates throughout the summer as I mark things off the list.

If you are new to canning and want a really great reference guide let me suggest The Complete Book of Home Preserving. During the summer canning season it's always close at hand when I'm in the kitchen.




I would also suggest buying a magnetic wand. I forget about this every year until canning season rolls around and I end up burning my fingers, but then I never remember to buy one when I'm not in the middle of canning.




Of course my birthday is next week...and it is on my Amazon Wishlist...hint...hint...


Finally, if you are an old hand at canning, or even a newbie looking for a challenge, keep an eye on this blog because later in the week I will be posting information on a canning contest! Stay tuned!

My Canning Season To Do List
Early Season Canning
Crab Apple Jelly
Mint Jelly
Herb Jelly
Spiced Crab Apples
Strawberry Jam
Chicken Soup
Chicken Stock
Lemon Sage Wine Mustard

Tomato & Mid Season Canning
Tomatoes
Salsa
Cocktail Sauce
Bruschetta
Chili
Spaghetti Sauce
Mustard Pickles
Beans
Corn
Carrots
Dill Pickles
Green Beans
Cucumber Relish
Veggie Soup

Late Season Canning - After Labor Day
Salsa Verde
Peaches
Apple Sauce
Apple Butter
Green Tomato Relish
Green Tomato Chutney

No comments:

Post a Comment